Unqualified

“Why are you cast down, O my soul?   And why are you disquieted within me?   Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.”  Psalm 42:5

I have not felt qualified to post anything for the last several days.   Who am I to think that I can offer encouragement to other moms when I can’t even get my own children to do what they are supposed to do?  Who am I to think that I have anything worthwhile to say?  Who am I to even think that I know anything at all about mothering?

Yes, I’ll admit to having somewhat of a pity party during the last few days.  I have been discouraged at the apparent lack of growth and maturing in children who seem to have the same issues come up over and over again.   Why do the same things have to be addressed time and time again as if for the first time?

Hmm.  I think I see a similarity here.  Does the Lord not have to address the same things over and over again in my life, too?  Is the Lord ever discouraged about my lack of growth?  I seem to have a problem learning the lessons that the Perfect Parent is trying to teach me, so maybe I need to not be quite so hard on my children when they don’t learn the lessons that this very imperfect mother is trying to teach them.  Maybe instead of focusing on my discouragement with my children, I need to look inward to see what the Lord might be trying to teach me.

To start with, I find that I need to let go of my discouragement and put my hope in the Lord.  The above verse is found three times in two chapters with almost the exact same wording.  (It is also found in Psalm 42:11 and 43:5.)  The Lord must have really thought it important to have included it so many times.  You might think that He knew that there would be times when we would be discouraged and need to have our focus redirected to Him!

Secondly, since I believe that the Lord has put this desire to be an encouragement on my heart, I need to obey whether or not I feel qualified.  Maybe it is that very lack of qualification that can be an encouragement to someone else.  No one need feel that they can never measure up to me, because I certainly DON’T have it all together!  I will just keep posting as the Lord gives me words, and pray that I don’t ever get to the point where I feel that I can do this without His help.

Has anyone else felt discouraged and unqualified as a mother lately?  If the Lord has given you something to encourage you, please share it.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

13 Comments

• Joe-ann says:

I also feel that way sometimes, but what encourages me is the thought that there is no such thing as perfect mother. We can only do what we think is best for our children. With all this imperfection is a blessing, it’s an opportunity for us to ask help from others and for others to have the opportunity to extend. Most importantly, this keep us humble and make us more reliant on God’s blessings and power. cheer up! hope you can visit me sometime as well. (www.joe-ann.tongson.com)

• Jen says:

Wonderful post. By being so honest, you are encouraging others. I think we all go through phases in mothering when we question- what am I doing anyway? or times when we are hard on our kids and need God to put patience on our hearts.

God Bless You!

Jen
    God’s Shining Stars

• Beth says:

I do know that I am encouraged by others who struggle and make it through, so I was hoping that others might find encouragement in my struggles. Thanks for posting!

• Kim says:

I have felt that way numerous times in my 17 years as a mother. Now, with a two teens, I find myself questioning my abilities A LOT.

But I try to remember that all I can do is my best – and it is all that is expected out of me. I know I will make mistakes – no one is perfect.

I also try to remember that every mother has her trials and tribulations raising children. And any mother who claims to have perfect children – or know how to perfectly raise her children – is a foolish mom.

You’re doing just fine! Hang in there!

• Jeanie says:

That is so true and so good! I’m so thankful that we have the perfect parent to teach me! I’m so thankful He forgives me when I mess up pretty mcuh daily!
    God Bless You Sister IN Christ!
    Jeanie

• Natalie says:

So good to read all the comments to your post, my very best friend! Great post! What encourages me on this earth is knowing that I have numerous friends who are moms and who can relate to me and speak an encouraging word in a hard time. But the most encouraging is knowing that Mercy triumphs over judgment. That Jesus can turn our imperefections into blessings! Oh, how many times I’ve seen it happen, yet, I still wonder some days how He is going to turn yet another disappointment into a blessing. But, we walk by faith and not by sight, right?

• Beth says:

You’re absolutely right! Sometimes the faith wavers, though, and that’s where we need to lift each other up. Knowing that others go through the same things can be a huge help.

• tammy says:

Being a 43 year old mother of a 21 year old daughter I still remember that first year where I felt more like a person playing a part then a real mother. Trust me it changes you will remember the exact place time moment when you look in your child eyes and realise you love her more then anything on earth and are blessed. Then you are a mother. love your blog found you on entrecard

• Rowena says:

Hi, I am encouraged by your blog, I read ur last 2 entry and I am so happy to find your blog. I am 31 yrs old, I’m a new mom, got 20 months old son and 7 months old daughter but I got twin stepsons who are turning 12 this coming June. I grew up in a poor family but we are taught to respect and obey our parents at early age. But when I got here, seeing how my stepsons deal with my husband, it makes me think if i would be able to bring up my kids having respect towards me and their dad and to people or they would grow up like what they see towards their older bro. I knew that the twins will be facing so much changes on their teens life I just hope and pray that we’ll be able to bring them closer to God. And I pray that God will blessed me and make me a better mother and a step mother.