My Mother, My Friend

“Her children rise up and call her blessed.”  Proverbs 31:28

My mom has been visiting for the last couple of days, and I have been enjoying having her here very much!  She has been a real encouragement to me, and I always enjoy just being with her.   I can truly say that I am blessed to have her as my mother.

I enjoyed the following story that was quoted in our church newsletter.  I don’t know the source, but it is quoted from Bible.org.

The Meanest Mother in the World

We had the meanest mother in the whole world! While other kids ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal, eggs, and toast. When others had a Pepsi and a Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches. And you can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was different from other kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times. You’d think we were convicts in a prison. She had to know who our friends were, and what we were doing with them. She insisted that if we said we would be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work. We had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook, vacuum the floor, do laundry, and all sorts of cruel jobs. I think she would lie awake at night thinking of more things for us to do. She always insisted on us telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

By the time we were teenagers, she could read our minds. Then, life was really tough! Mother wouldn’t let our friends just honk the horn when they drove up. They had to come up to the door so she could meet them. While everyone else could date when they were 12 or 13, we had to wait until we were 16.

Because of our mother, we missed out on lots of things other kids experienced. None of us have ever been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other’s property, or ever arrested for any crime. It was all her fault. We never got drunk, took up smoking, stayed out all night, or a million other things, other kids did. Sundays were reserved for church, and we never missed once. We knew better than to ask to spend the night with a friend on Saturdays.

Now that we have left home, we are all God-fearing, educated, honest adults. We are doing our best to be mean parents just like Mom was. I think that’s what is wrong with the world today. It just doesn’t have enough mean moms anymore.

I know that my children often think of me as a “mean” mother.  I hope that they someday look back and realize that they are thankful that I a “mean”, even as I am very thankful for the times when my own mom was “mean”!

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

15 Comments

• Glenda says:

Amen sista – mine too!!

Oh… so do you remember when Danny used to eat dog food? What was up with that?? Ü

• Beth says:

Yep, I remember! Funny thing is, my children have done the same – especially the current youngest. It was impossible to keep him out of the dog food for quite awhile. Thankfully, he has grown out of that now!

• The Mother says:

My kids keep CPS on speed dial. Someday, will they appreciate me?

I’m thinking somewhere around the time they have their fourth kid.

• Beth says:

Well, if it’s any encouragement, I really started appreciating my mom even before I became a mom. She has been a real friend to me all of my adult life, and it started even before that.

• Li says:

That is really beautiful! I hope someday my child would also be thankful I was “mean”. 🙂

Great post!

• Ray says:

I appreciate my wife even more because of this post 🙂

Thanks!

• Joe-ann says:

nice one. I hope all the children in the world can read this.=)

(i added you to my links.)

• Natalie says:

Ok, my kids are writing mother’s day essays in hopes that I win a buffet at the best restaurant in our town. I wonder if I should forward them this post first! LOL! I’ve read that poem before and enjoyed reading it again! So glad you were refreshed by your mom! I so wish mine was closer when I had little ones. Now she is gone with Jesus and I miss her more than when she was alive across an ocean!

• Megan Miller says:

Beth, I’m so glad your mother is there and that your with your mother! Nothing beats Moms! I often think about you when I’m feeling sorry for myself that I’m not closer to my Mom and give myself a mental shake!

Great story too!

• Pete says:

I agree, we need a lot more “Mean Moms” in the world, especially today. We also need those Mom’s, to be at home being mean all the time. Like my Mom did to me, she has passed away, but I miss her very, very much, and I know that how she brought me up, was for my own good. I miss that.

• Cher says:

Thanks so much for being a Top 10 EntreCard dropper on my site!

• Tehachapi Grandma says:

Well, I’m home again, daughter, and deeply grateful for the few days we had together! The Lord really blessed our time together, didn’t He?

• Loved the poem. I only really appreciated my Mom after I became one myself.

• So right! Moms can be “mean” at times but they’d always love no matter what!

• carolyn stacey says:

CHUCKLE: Did my daughter write this? Better yet, did her little brother help her?