A Joyful Mother

“He grants the barren woman a home, like a joyful mother of children.
Praise the LORD!”  Psalm 113:9

It’s hard to believe that a whole month has gone by since my last post!  Thank you for all the wonderful congratulations.  I have wished that I could reply to each person, but my hands have literally been full most of the time, and it is hard to type one-handed.  My little baby girl will be 8 weeks old on Friday, and is already changing from being a newborn.  Oh, she still sounds like a newborn, but she is very interested in what is going on around her, and those big, beautiful smiles are something that we all work very hard to get.  😉

Even though she weighed 8 pounds at birth, she looked more like she weighed about 6 pounds.   (Even the medical people thought so!)  For someone who is used to 10+ pound babies, it’s been a new experience to have such a tiny one!   She had us concerned for a few weeks, as she lost about 12% of her birth weight in the first few days, and then didn’t get back up to her birth weight until she was about 5 weeks.  There were several trips to the lactation consultant and pediatrician for weight checks, but she finally did start to gain and outgrow all of those newborn clothes that had been too big on her.  She is still in newborn diapers, though – something that my other children hardly used at all!

Since my first child was on the way by the time I had been married for two months, I have never been someone who would be considered a “barren woman”.  However, the Lord HAS given me the blessing of being a “joyful mother of children”!  I was having my car inspected today and was sitting in the busy mechanics’ lobby with the baby, when a lady asked whether or not this was my first baby.  Of course, she was surprised when I replied that it was my 8th baby, but the lady sitting next to her looked at me and, almost in a hostile tone, asked, “Why?”

I have never before been asked “why” when people have found out that I have several children, so I was speechless for a moment.  Then, I simply responded that it was because I have been blessed.   And, truly, that is the way I feel.  I won’t deny that I’m not always joyful, or that there aren’t days when I wish I could put the children on the schoolbus and have a few hours of quiet.  I won’t deny that there are times when the tears are rolling down my face and I’m the one asking the Lord “why”!  However, it is much more frequent that I look around at my children and feel richly blessed.  My children really do bring me joy!

Well, my latest bundle of joy is exhibiting signs of being tired of being held by her big sister and wanting Mommy, so I will have to finish this another time.  I’ll try to make sure that it is not such a long time before I post again!

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

14 Comments

• mommy jacel says:

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. By the way, thank you for being my top entrecard dropper last month. Cheers!

• Glenda says:

So good to hear from you Beth, I have been wondering how you were doing with your new little one Ü

I love to smile and kind of chuckle when people say silly things like that – they just don’t have ANY idea what their missing!

((Hugs))

• some people can be so rude. You could just as easily look at her and say why would you only choose to have one, two, or none!
    The time passes so fast that they are newborns, doesn’t it?

• Suzanne says:

Congrats with the latest addition to your family. If 8 children is not remarkable, than at least it is not the standard. And I would expect that you will get various reactions when you tell people you have 8 children.
    As for “why”, it is a question that I ask myself sometimes. With only one child and the second on the way, it might sound like a weird question to you. Why do we want children at all? Luckily there are also times that I’m less tired and remember the answer…

• Becki says:

Congratulations to you and your family!

BTW – Thanks for being one of my top droppers for September!

• vunhome says:

Another blessing has arrived and it is such a blessing to have 8 children. Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on my “Too many choice too early” post and thank you for being one of my top 10 droppers. Appreciate it.
    Blessings!

• Sam says:

Wow! congratulations of having a baby again. I just can remember when my daughter was also a newborn. I can’t take off my eyes off her. BTW, a child is always a blessing. Just ignore those rude people out there. It’s not important how many children we have. what’s more important are the care, love and the good values that we inculcate to our children. Take good care and thnx for being 1 of my top EC droppers for September

• Jeanie says:

Congrats on your new baby girl!

Thanks for your precious post! Children are a gift from God! Your post gives everyone a reminder of that!

• Tracy says:

I think Sam said it right when she said that a child is always a blessing.

Congratulations on your new baby!

• joy says:

Have a wonderful day. God bless with ur Family. I also have an eight month old baby boy. I like ur article. Can we exchange link?

• Jon says:

We only have one child, but reading your post brought back some very fond memories. Congratulations and may God’s peace be with you and all of your family.

• Karen Vaughn says:

The Joys of Motherhood! Congrats on your baby girl. ALL THE BEST!

• Mia says:

I think that people probably wonder more about how you can afford so many children not so much why would you have them. I think that if we all could afford to pay the expenses of so many then we would all have many more. You are certainly blessed to be able to carry 8 children and afford to pay the expenses of 8 children. Congratulations and best wishes.

• onlinemommy says:

You are indeed blessed! Four more and you will complete the 12 Israel tribes 🙂

Congratulations to your new baby. I am blessed to have landed on your page 🙂