Well-baby Checkups

Posted by: Bethin Babies, Mothering
Jan

I apologize to those who tried to visit in the last 24 hours and were unable to do so.  For some reason, my data server was down, and I was completely blocked out of my blogs last night.  Thankfully, an email to my hosting service got me back up and running today.

When I was a brand new mom 19 years ago, I had my baby in for her checkups on the exact day that she turned 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, etc.  By the time I had the next baby, I realized that it wasn’t critical that the schedule for checkups be quite so precise.  😉  As time went on, it also became more apparent to me that my little ones usually picked up germs at the doctor’s office, and I was even less ready to take them to frequent appointments.  From my 6th baby on, I have taken them for their first few checkups to make sure they were growing well, and from then on I pretty much take them only when they are sick and need to go.  We delay immunizations, so there’s no need to be following the infant vaccination schedule.

Today, I took my baby in for her 4-month checkup.  It just so happens that she turned 5 months today.  🙂  She laughed and cooed at the nurse practitioner and just generally made everyone smile.  😉  I was delighted to find out that my little one has gained enough weight to take her from just barely falling into the 10th percentile to almost making the 25th percentile!  I really wasn’t worried, because it is very apparent that she is happy, healthy, and a little chubby, but it is always nice to have “official” confirmation.

Do you take your babies in for all of their well-baby checkups on time, or are you more relaxed about it?

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!
This entry was posted on Friday, January 8th, 2010 at 12:21 am and is filed under Babies, Mothering. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments so far

1.  melanie
January 8th, 2010 at 1:31 am

Like you I brought my first child to her doctor on the exact date that she turned 2, 4, 6 etc. But on my second child, I tried to delayed the vaccination. I brought her on her two months check on around 3 mo. and planning to bring her on four mo checkup when she is about 5 mos old. I think rushing her vaccination is not necessary as long as your baby is doing good. Good luck on your little one 🙂

2.  Beth
January 8th, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thank you!

I agree that rushing vaccinations is not necessary, and may be even more important to delay if the baby is NOT doing well. The vaccinations put a lot of stress on those little bodies! Vaccinating a baby who is not thriving might make the little one more susceptible to the undesirable side effects of the vaccine.

3.  Blia
January 8th, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I totally agree! After my first baby, I haven’t been up to par with taking my babies for their well-child check-ups on time either. They seem to do just fine despite it all.

4.  megscole64
January 11th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

So far we’ve had our checkups very close to the actual dates of his monthly ‘birthdays’…he’s our first though. We were a little late on his 2 month and we’ll be a little early on his 4 month. I’m not super worried about it but I do like checking in to get his ‘stats’. And he’s been at the dr’s office a LOT to visit his grandma, so lots of exposure to bugs and so far so good. =)

5.  Beth
January 13th, 2010 at 1:05 pm

The “stats” are the best part of the checkups! 🙂 I take it that grandma is his doctor (or at least works at the doctor’s office)?

6.  megscole64
January 13th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

LOL Yes, she’s a Registered Nurse in the same office. =) We went in a LOT in his first couple of weeks because I had so many issues … she even got to “baby sit” with him at her desk while I was seen. She loved it!

7.  Laane
January 14th, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I went regular with the first one. And the other children were checked on a far less regular basis. Otherwise I would have become part of the furniture with 6 children close after another.
I alsways delayed vaccinations when my children were not about a 120% well, and delayed them in those children which were born early and the twins.

The check ups are not done by our own family doc but a special doc for those check ups.
I learned by experience to trust my own doc more.

8.  Beth
January 22nd, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I hear you on becoming part of the furniture with lots of children! Experience is often the best teacher, isn’t it?